Sunday, March 23, 2008

Memphis

Took a road trip to Memphis recently, for no reason whatsoever. New Orleanians are discovering the importance of getting the hell out of dodge every once in a while for the sake of sanity. It was also the first real road trip for my cute little Mazda, Miss Scarlet. Just me and her and the open road and a pack of CDs...

It's a pretty straight shot up through Mississippi and just across the border in Tennessee. As darkness fell, I drove through a snowstorm and (even though the ride was dangerous) I appreciated the change in seasons I was being treated to. Saw a deer crossing the road as I pulled off the highway at a remote gas station.

Didn't have much of a plan for my trip other than to roam around and eat and listen to music. Graceland seemed to be the must-see destination, even though I can't claim to be the biggest Elvis fan. Definitely appreciate his talent and appeal, but I never realized until I saw his mansion what an incredibly tacky dude he was! And his family is ruthless about squeezing every penny out of his legacy they can. Ah, well, that's Americana for you...

Also saw Sun Records and ate some great catfish and spent time at a cool coffee shop. Saw a band showcase with blues, rock and bluegrass, but honestly none of the music was better than what I've heard in New Orleans.

Had an extra day off of work so I could've stayed and wandered some more, but I was craving a day of playing hookie at home with my books and my DVDs and my kitty. Drove 6 hours to get home and luxuriated in doing nothing for the next 24 hours :)


























1 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Memphis. Except the male prostitutes on Bealle Street.

Did you get to Blues City Cafe??? Good food there.

Check the Rendevous too for Pork Ribs. It's only open certain days of the week for dinner. Its located in an alley a few blocks away from bealle street. I would tell you where it is but the adventure to find the rib house is a right of passage..

:>)

As a footnote I saw my first professional tennis match in Memphis.... Andy Roddick played... werd.

-C to the A to the S to the E to the Y

 

Post a Comment

<< Home