Saturday, March 11, 2006

Waffle House

One thing I discovered on my cross-country drive in '02 was the highly addictive Waffle House chain of restaurants across the South. They have simple, greasy food: eggs, hash browns, waffles, burgers, fries, and sweet tea. The first time I had sweet tea I didn't know I didn't need to add sugar. Talk about a sugar rush!

Here in Gulfport, Mississippi, I live near two Waffle Houses. Wandered over to one this morning to have a scrambled egg and cheese sandwich with some hash browns "scattered" (i.e., with onions). Yum! Sitting at the counter, I was joined by a guy from Nashville who proceeded to talk my ear off about these $35,000 pre-fab homes he was selling down here, and what did I think of the design and pricing?

Halfway through my breakfast, a black baby at a nearby table started crying, and her family was fussing over her. The man from Nashville said to me, "I just don't know sometimes. Why do you need to get a license to drive a car, and any old fool can have a baby?"

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey lady!! Your waffle house post reminded me of Casey's, http://screamingiguana.livejournal.com/11858.html#cutid1
Check it out when you have time.

We are also toying with the idea of heading your way in early summer, we really want to hit up some of the Texas state parks on the border and do some road tripping. We should try to meet up!

Nicole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home